Morrison's Pensions

Pension Application for James Barhyte

State of New York
County of Saratoga SS.
            On this fifth day of September 1836 personally appeared in open court before the Court of Common Pleas in and for the County of Saratoga in the State of New York now sitting in the Village of Ballston Spa in s’d County James Barhyte of Saratoga Springs in said County of Saratoga aged seventy four years who being duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the provisions of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832.  That he entered into the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated.
            To the 1st Interrogatory prescribed by the War Department.
            Where, and in what year were you born?
            He answers and says,
            In the then Town now City of Schenectady, and County of Schenectady in the State of New York on the 25th day of March 1762.
            To the 2d question.
            Have you any record of you age; and if so, where is it?
            He answers and says,
            In his father’s family Bible now in the possession of Susannah Barhyte, widow of Nicholas Barhyte late of Schenectady deceased, now residing in Schenectady.
            To the 3d question.
            Where were you living when called into service; where have you lived since the Revolutionary War, and where do you now live?
            He answers and says,
            That from his infancy until the year 1784 he lived in the town, now city and county of Schenectady in the State of New York when he moved to the Town of Ballston in the County of Albany, now County of Saratoga, and state of New York, where he has lived until the year 1795 and moved into the Town of Saratoga, now Saratoga Springs in said county where he has lived ever since and where he now lives.
            To the 4th question.
            How were you called into service, were you drafted, did you Volunteer, or were you a substitute and if a substitute for whom?
            In answer to the above question, he makes the following statement.  That the militia were under the direction of a Board of Committee of arrangements & safety in and for the Town of Schenectady and the County of Albany in the State of New York, being authorized by Congress of the United States of America, also for the safety of the frontiers on the Mohawk River and agreeable with the special command of General Philip Schuyler commander in chief of the North Division of the United States of America.
            The following named person composed the committees of safety of the Town of Schenectady to wit: Rynear Myndersen, James Wilson, Nicholas VanderVolger, Henry Glenn, Abraham Fonda, James Mynderson, Wm. Schermerhorn, Garrett Lansing, Derick VanIningen, Hugh Mitchell, Henry Peck, Nicholas Vader, Joseph Yates, &  William Shaber.
            That in the spring of 1778 at the Town of Schenectady he this deponent was enrolled as a private in the company commanded by Captain Jesse VanSlyke in Colonel Abraham Wemples’ Regiment of Militia of Schenectady in the County of Albany & state of New York.  Abraham Swits was Major in said Regiment.  He further states that the following named persons also belonged to the said company under the said Captain VanSlyke to wit, Jacob Clute, Frederick Clute, Cornelius Peeke, Teunis Barhyte, John  VanVorst, John Barhyte, Abraham Lighthall, Nicholas Vanderbogad, Nicholas G. Vader, Jesse Degraff, John Steers, Peter Steers, Thomas Weston, Daniel Clute, Giles Clute, Thomas Philips, Garret VanSchayck, John Flansberg, James Peeke, James Williams, Cornelius Pecke, Junr. James Van Norst, Reuben Witten, Isaac Clute, John Clute, Garret Spitcher, Garret VanVranken, Wm. Carrol, Adam Vroman, Cornelius VanSlyke, Aaron Putman, John Mercelius, Adam Kettle, Adrian VanSlyke, John Fairley, Francis Vader, Jacob Clute Junr, John B. Clute, Peter S. Vader, Mattheis Degaramow, Cornelius Van Syson, Joseph Van Syson, John Vader, Daniel Kettle, John Gravenburg, Martin VanSlyke, Cornelius Williams, Jamces Broadfoot, & James Barhyte.
            1778.  That in April 1778, when he this applicant resided in the said Town of Schenectady being a frontier town & much exposed to the ravages of the enemy, consisting of Tories & Indians who were in the frequent habit of committing depredations on the Whig Inhabitants in the vicinity of the Mohawk River in their excursions they would destroy the dwelling houses and other property by fire of the Whig Inhabitants & not unfrequently murder same, & take others captives to Canada, and in many instances women & children were murdered by them, which caused frequent alarms, that the Militia belonging to Colonel Wemple’s Regiment were required by the Committee of Safety to be in readiness at all times to turn out and go in search of the enemy and to protect the Inhabitants; in these tours, only a part of each company were called into service, generally under the command of a Subaltern officer and so on alternately, a part of the company were called out to perform duty on Scout, when & where ordered by the said Committee of Safety.
            There was also a Picket Fort erected in the Town of Schenectady where the Militia of said regiment kept Guard as they were ordered by the said Committee, so that a few of the said Regiment performed Garrison duty while another part were out on Scout and so on alternately as they were called out.  The said Regm’t were seldom all on duty at the same time, but as they were called out in their regular turns in short tours, there were also six redoubts erected on the East side of the Picket Fort and these were occupied for guard Houses, and that the Militia of said Regiment, in their regular turns performed duty on guard in the said redoubts according to the orders given by the officers from time to time.
            In April 1778 when he this deponent resided Schenectady aforesaid that a call was made for a part of Capt. VanSlyke’s Company to turn out on Scouts he this deponent went under the command of Col. Wemp & Captain VanSlyke to Beaver Dam on Patrol & served as a private at least 7 days & another tour to Harper’s Field at least 7 days.  In May he went to Sagandago [Sacondaga] under the command of Garrett Spitzer a Sergeant in said company and served as a private for at least 14 days.
            In June he went to CobusKill under Jacob Williams Sergeant & served in Patrolling for 13 days and served as a private.
            In July he went to Fort Plank & performed garrison duty as a private under Capt. Giles, [?] Yates, & Capt. Fonda for at least 18 days.
            In August he went to Fort Plank & did garrison duty under the commanding officer of the fort he does not recollect his name and served as a private for at least 13 days.
            In September he went to Schoharrie on an alarm and did garrison duty as a private for at least 14 [days] under the Command of Major Woolsey he thinks but don’t recollect positively.
            In October went to Cobuskill on Patrol & served as a private for at least 14 days under Sergeant John Stuart of our Regt.
            That in April 1779 he was again called into the service of the United States as a private & served under the aforesaid officers.
            As follows, Viz.
            When he still resided in Schenectady a call was made on Capt. Van Slyke for a part of his company to go out on scout that he this deponent went equipped for the service & served under Sergeant Garret Spitzer as a private to Ballston & Glens Falls and did duty in patrolling according to orders of Capt. VanSlyke for at least 12 days.
            In May he went on Patrol to Sagandago [Sacondaga] & Fish house & served at least for 14 days as a private under Sergeant Benjamin [Sisebury?]
            That about the 20th day of June 1779 he entered into the service of the United States as a volunteer private by order of the Committee of Safety was employed in conveying the baggage of General Clinton’s Army up the Mohawk in Boats, that he was equipt as a private and assisted in propelling the boats to Fort Plane & from Fort Plane we were employed in cutting & clearing a road to Otsego Lake under Captain McKean & the boats & baggage were conveyed by Teams to Otsego Lake & at Otsego Lake he this deponent performed duty as a private aforesaid on guard to guard the Military stores left there & stood on guard in his regular tour & on Fatigue in making a dam to raise the water, so as to convey the Military provisions down the Susquehanna river by boat where he continued on duty, on guard & on Fatigue under the aforesaid Captain McKeese in manner aforesaid until about the 19th day of August having served in manner aforesaid for at least one month and 28 days when he this deponent with the other volunteers returned to Schenectady being discharged verbally.
            In September 1779 he this deponent with 7 or 8 more of the company were ordered to go on Scouts & went to Sagandago [Sacondaga] * did duty on scout to Sagandago [Sacondaga] at least 6 days under a Sergeant [blank].
            And in the same month was called out on scout to Johns Town under Sergeant VanScise & served for at least 7 days.
            In October 1779 was called out to Fort Plank & performed garrison duty as a private under Capt. Yates & Capt. Fonda at least 24 days and returned home.
            And in November he was again called out on a tour & went to Norman’s Kill& Brakabeen & served on Patrol for at least 8 days under Sergeant Garret Stitzer.
            That from the 1st of April 1779 until the last of November he served for at least 4 months & 9 days in 7 tours & served as a private in manner stated above.
            That in April 1780 he was called out into the service of the United States under Capt. Van Slyke and went on Patrol to Glens Falls & Lake George and served as Private for at least 15 days under Sergeant Spitzer and afterwards in the month of May he went on patrol to Velies Rapids and Fullursin Rapids & served at least 14 days under a non commissioned officer don’t’ recollect his name.
            In June he went on a patrol to Beaver Dam and Harper’s Field & served as a private at least under Aaron Spitzer a corporal of said Company & staid home one week & went on alarm to Schoharrie & in pursuit of Sir John Johnson & Brant & Butler after they Burnt Schoharry at this time. Brant lost his heel & was in Constant service for at least 10 days under Ensign Francis Veeder and then returned to Fort Plane & there did garrison duty for 19 days under aforesaid Ensign. 
            In September went to Sacondaga & Mayfield on Patrol by order of the committee & served as a private at least under a non commissioned officer 15 days.
            October, went to Fort Plank and did garrison duty at least 13 days & served under the command of captain VanSlyke and continued in service as aforesaid during the month of Nov.  30 days.
            That from the 1st of April 1780 until the last of November 1780 he served for at least 4 mo. & 9 days in 7 tours & served as a private in manner before stated herein & under the officer herein stated.
            In April 1781 He this deponent was again called into the service & went on Patrol to Beaverdam 9 days under Corporal Aaron Spitzer.
            In May went to Glenn’s Falls on Patrol & served 11 days under Sergeant Spitzer.
            In June went on Patrol to Sacondaga 10 days under a non commissioned officer of the Regt.
            In July went to Fort Hunter & did garrison duty under Lieut H. A. Mercellas of our Regt & served as a private for at least 16 days.
            In August, went to Viele Rapids & Fullerses Rapids 2 tours the 1st 7 days & the 2nd tour 8 days on patrol duty under noncommissioned officers.
            September went  2 times on patrol to Beaver Dam 7 days and to Harper’s field 8 days.  Do not recollect who commanded the Scout
            1781, Octo. Went on alarm under Capt. VanSlyke as a volunteer to pursue Major Ross after his burning warrens’ bush & captured 27 prisoners at West Canada Creek from Ross and took them to Hartford in Connecticut 16 days more under Major Graham to assist in conveying the prisoners by order of the Committee of Safety in Schenectady. 
            That from the first of April 1781 to the last of November in the same year he served for at least 3 months and 12 days and served as a private in manner aforesaid.
            1782 August Went to Schoharry and did garrison duty at Middle Fort 16 days, under Major Woolsey and served as a private.
            1782 Went on a patrol to Sagandago [Sacondaga] & Mayfield 15 days under Corpora Spitzer.
            October & November Went to Fort Herkimer and did garrison duty under Capt. Van Slyke
            N.B. These patrolling parties consisted of 7 privates under a noncommissioned officer, that is 4 white men and 3 Indians, this was the number generally but some times in greater danger, the number was increased to 14 men, a proportion of which were Indians, the Indians were of the Oneida Tribe, the object and duty of these scouting parties was to spy out the lurking places and paths of the enemy, the Indians were taken along with the white men because they were more expert in that kind of duty.
            To the 5th question.
            State the names of some of the regular officers who were with the troops where you served; such continental and Militia Regiments, as you can recollect and the general circumstances of your services.
            He answers and says that for an answer no further than he has already except Col. Courtland & General Van Schaick.
            To the 6th question, did you ever receive a discharge from the service, land if so, why whom was it given and what has become of it?
            He answers & says that he never received any written discharge from the service during the period of the Revolutionary War but each tour of service was by his officer permitted to return home.
            7th. State the names of person to whom you are known in your present neighborhood who can testify as to your character for veracity and their belief of your services as a soldier of the revolution.
            He states names of Samuel Chapman the supervisor of the Town of Saratoga Spring aforesaid, Doctor John H. Steele, Thomas J. Marvin esquire a Judge of Saratoga County Court, John Eddy Esquire, Rockwell Putnam, Joseph WestCott a merchant, Gideon M. Davison & Joel Sadler all of the Town of Saratoga Springs, and also he names the Honorable Guent VanSchoonhaven a Judge of Saratoga County Court.
            He further states that the Reverend Mr. Griswold of Saratoga Springs is no able to attend Court this day on account of Rheumatism complaint, and that Elder Wayland is detained at home at Saratoga Springs on account of company which necessarily detained him, these are the only clergymen with whom he is acquainted in said Town and therefore desires to be allowed to take their deposition out of court.
            Here herby relinquishes every claim whatever to a Pension or Annuity except the present and declares his name is not on the Pension Roll of any State.  (Signed) James Barhyte
            Subscribed and Sworn the day and year aforesaid in open court.  A. Goodrich, Clerk.

 Return to opening page of Morrison's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2008. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.