Morrison's Pensions

John Mason, Married at Nicholas Stoner's Home

      John enlisted as a private while living at Johnstown in April of 1777 in Captain David McMaster's Company [Sixth Company] in Colonel Frederick Visscher's Regiment of Tryon County Militia [Third Regiment].
      On August 3rd, Fort Schuyler was completely surrounded and besieged by the troops of Lieutenant‑Colonel Barry St. Leger. Brigadier General Nicholas Herkimer ordered the Tryon County Militia to muster at Fort Dayton. John under Captain McMaster and Colonel Visscher joined the gathering militia at Fort Dayton.
      On August 4th, the relief column marched out of Fort Dayton on their way to Fort Schuyler. On August 6th, about ten o'clock in the morning the relief column was ambushed near Oriskany Creek. The battle lasted until late in the afternoon when a sortie from the fort under Lieutenant‑Colonel Marinus Willett attacked the enemy encampments near the fort.
      The enemy retreated on hearing musket and cannon fire in their rear at their encampments. The remnants of the relief column gathered their wounded and some of the dead and marched to the Oriskany Oneida Indian Village and spent the night there. In the morning of August 7th, the relief column started on their way back to Fort Dayton and Fort Herkimer. They reached those forts on August 9th.
      John served the remainder of the year in Captain McMaster's Company and in Captain William Snook's Company [Fifth Company] in Colonel Visscher's Regiment.
            On November 11th, the Cherry Valley settlement was attacked and burned to the ground by Indians and Loyalists under Walter Butler and Joseph Brant. John was ordered out with about 200 men to go the relief of Cherry Valley and he returned home about a week later.
      In the spring of 1779, John enlisted in Captain John Littel's Company and he was stationed at Fort Johnstown.
      In the spring of 1780, John again enlisted in Captain Littel's Company. He was stationed at Fort Johnstown, Fort Herkimer and Fort Schuyler.
      On October 19th, Colonel Sir John Johnson with about 500 Indians and Loyalists were burning and killing near the Stone Arabia settlement. Johnson and his men fought a battle with American troops under Colonel John Brown at Stone Arabia where after about fifteen minutes of fighting the Americans retreated leaving Colonel Brown and about forty‑five men from his command behind dead.
      John, under Lieutenant‑Colonel Volkert Veeder had been ordered to join the gathering militia under General Robert Van Rensselaer near Fort Rensselaer. The army now crossed the Mohawk River and John under Colonel Lewis DuBois, Lieutenant‑Colonel Samuel Campbell and Lieutenant‑Colonel Veeder with about 300 men closely pursued the enemy and finally made contact with them at Klock's and Failing's Flats.
      A fierce battle again raged but Johnson and his men escaped under the cover of darkness back to Canada. Colonel DuBois was unable to pursue Johnson because the promised reinforcements from VanRensselaer never arrived.
      In April of 1781, John enlisted in Captain Garret Putman's Company in Colonel Marinus Willett's Regiment of New York State Levies.
      On October 24th, Major John Ross and Captain Walter Butler with 607 men were in the Mohawk Valley burning and killing. Colonel Marinus Willett who was in command at Fort Rensselaer, on receiving news of this invasion, sent messengers to Forts Clyde, Paris and Plank for additional troops.
      Colonel Willett gathered what troops there were at Fort Rensselaer and went in pursuit of the enemy in the morning of October 25th. John, under Captain Putman, joined Colonel Willett in pursuit of the enemy. Colonel Willett crossed the Mohawk River to Caughnawaga and they proceeded to Fort Johnstown.
      Colonel Willett on arriving at the fort was informed by the garrison that the enemy was encamped near Johnson's Hall. Colonel Willett and his men left the fort and marched to the enemy's encampment. On the arrival of Willett and his men a fierce battle soon raged. The battle lasted until darkness fell on the battlefield and with the enemy retreating.
      In the heat of the battle John was hit in the left side with a musket ball. John was taken to Fort Johnstown with the rest of the wounded to have his wound properly dressed. At the fort he learned that his brother‑in‑law William Scarborough had been killed in the battle.
      John married Chloe Griswold on August 4, 1788 at the home of Nicholas Stoner by the Reverend Thomas Romeyn. John died on April 20, 1816.

Return to opening page of Morrisons's Pensions

Copyright 1998, -- 2006. James F. Morrison and Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.